Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Definition: Husband, Part Three

Definition: Husband
Sense of Humor / Sense of Self

A "Stand Out" husband is filled with a deep rooted sense of self.

I have been in the process of breaking down what it means to be a "stand out" husband.  So far I have Part One and Part Two completed.  Today, I try and take down Part Three!  I feel like I have made great strides within my own life - identifying husband qualities that I don't feel were very strong - and actively making them stronger. 


Although, I also feel like I have yet to scratch the surface.


I believe one of the key traits of a stand out husband is having a Sense of Humor.

As relationships grow in complexity, and you gain a wider understanding of your spouse, you realize very quickly that situations arise that just need a good laugh.

“Married men live longer than single men. 

But married men are a lot more willing to die.” - Johnny Carson


I, unfortunately, was not blessed with a heart of empathy.  However, I'm sure God gets a good laugh that he replaced that empathy with humor. I constantly try to replace a situation that otherwise may be sad or depressing, with a humorous antidote of some kind.  

I'll just smile, and sometimes (not all the time) it is a very good cure for anger.  It is a very good thing that it works, because if it didn't I'm pretty sure someone would have killed me by now.


And by "Someone" I mean my wife.  (I mean, lets face it...one person can only take so much of me...)

I've found that my sense of humor really developed when I could laugh at myself.  I realized that I wasn't perfect (a sad, sad day) and never would become perfect, it was much easier to laugh at my flaws.  When you don't take yourself seriously all the time, you loosen the mood for everyone around you.

As a couple I believe you can do the same thing.  No couple is perfect.


(I mean...look at that guy!!)

If you can laugh at your flaws as a couple, 
you can really enjoy what is so wonderful about your marriage.

My wife is always cracking me up (purposely or not).  I am finding that when my life is filled with laughter, I have a beautiful and happy marriage.  (And my wife has a stand out husband!)

All stand out husbands need to have a great sense of humor, as well as a firm grasp on their biggest flaws.  This grasp will outline their true sense of self.

I have to thank my wife for all the giggles, cackles, snorts, smiley's, and roll on the floor laughs that continue to make our marriage so much fun.

Smile. Laugh. Love. Repeat.
~cft 

1 comment:

  1. "As relationships grow in complexity, and you gain a wider understanding of your spouse, you realize very quickly that situations arise that just need a good laugh"

    This is money. Beer soon.
    ML

    ReplyDelete