Sunday, February 13, 2011

Piano

We have a piano in our house that we have inherited.  No one plays the piano, it is just a piece of furniture in our house.  

That is, until yesterday.

L-Boogie has decided she wants to learn piano.

I have a basic knowledge of piano keys, and Google does its part to fill in my gaps.  I took some letter stickers and put them on the keys, so Lauren would know where they were.


Then I went online and found "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star"

It is extremely hard to find a song with the notes spelled out.  I can't read sheet music, so I have no idea how to write out what to play.  Twinkle, Twinkle was luckily spelled out.


I explained how to play the piano, as best as I knew, and she went to it.  She was at the piano for maybe 5 minutes before she had it down.


video


She wanted more songs to play, so I found:

Old MacDonald
Frère Jacques
Mary Had a Little Lamb

She played them all.  She sat at that piano for about 30 minutes, learning and playing.  She didn't get frustrated or angry when she messed up.  She would just start over.  

It was amazing.  

Just to see your child develop in front of your eyes is so crazy.  She said "Daddy, I am going to be like Sinatra when I grow up."  WOW.  Best Sentence Ever.

This morning I woke up and she wanted to show me something.

  video

No notes.  She did it all from memory!  Plus she added another hand to the piano - which I have no idea how to do.  She just sat down and started playing.

The video doesn't capture the fact she has only been playing for less than an hour - for her whole life.  It is just incredible she knows the notes from memory.

"Proud Dad" doesn't even scratch the surface of how I feel today!

~Proud Dad


1 comment:

  1. Proud Aunt too!!! I'm so excited for her! Get that kid into a piano class...pronto! I'll drive out for the recitals...I promise.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete