Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Valentine's Day Post

If you don't know - now you know.

Valentine's Day is my favorite holiday.  Seriously.  I am made fun of constantly for my list:

1. Valentine's Day
2. St. Patrick's Day
3. New Year's Eve

(Every other holiday has equal value in my book)

Valentine's Day is awesome wrapped in bacon and deep fat fried in more awesome.  There are so many things I love about Valentine's Day - that have absolutely nothing to do with love.

Maybe I can explain.  Every year my wife and I pick a couple of restaurants and go to them all on Valentine's Day.  You read that right - we go to them all.

It all started a few years back.  We went to "The Cheesecake Factory" for Valentine's Day.  If you have never been to this place, the normal wait on a regular night is about an hour.  We went to the hostess and she informed us that the current wait time would seat us by 11 PM.  It was just after 7.  Then she added the best 6 words anyone has every uttered to us: "There is seating at the bar."

We looked at each other: "That will work!"

We had drinks and an appetizer at the bar, laughed and had a great time.  I said "Let's try another place!"  So we went across the street and found the same thing happening.  We could wait for a table for hours, or sit at the bar.  Bar it is.

So for every year since, we have gone out to different restaurants and skipped the line!

This year we started at a place called Papa Dio's.

The place looked like the oldest Italian restaurant in Oklahoma City.  There was one bathroom.  For everyone. (It seats 300 or so).  But so very worth finding.

We toasted the annual celebration.


High Quality Sham-pag-knee (as the owner said as he delivered it to our table).

Lots of laughs - we could actually hear each other, which was really nice.  We had one of the back tables, and got to see everyone's food as it left the kitchen.  Yeah - best table ever.

We got this French Onion soup that I have decided will fill my pool, should I ever get one.  


The cheese is sitting on a baguette in the soup...mmmmmm. Sorry tried to lick the screen.


Clams? Clams!

These were the "Special" appetizer.  The sauce was white wine, butter, onions, seasonings from Olympus (Greek Mountain the held the gods - for those wondering). Anyway, great food.  We also had the Shrimp Pompeii.  Yeah, do I even need a picture??  


Yes.  Yes, I do.

We toasted the first restaurant down, on to the next!


We had plans for another Italian Wine Bar, but ditched it for dessert at Zorba's.


By far the best churro's you will ever have.  Hands Down.


I mean, they come with a raspberry and chocolate dipping sauce.  Sprinkled with sugar and filled with whatever deliciousness churro's have in them.  Yes, best dessert.  We continued our night with the highly touted Pomegranate Margarita.

We jumped over to the coffee bar, and had some delicious caramel latte's.  We had laughed so hard our checks were hurting.  My stomach had a giant smile on it (so my belt was hurting as well!) But we had such a great time, adding more memories to the Valentine's bank.

It's getting closer to Saint Patrick's Day now!! (I like this holiday the same reason everyone else does: leprechauns!)  


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE our traditions!...here's to many, many more!

    ReplyDelete