Monday, March 14, 2011

Anger

“Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship” – Dali Lama

Anger in its purest form, is something I am truly fearful of.  Anger has an ability to take over my entire being in the blink of an eye.  It may be for something I stand for, a Righteous Anger.  But many times it’s just destroy-all-in-the-way anger.



It is deeply rooted in the soil of who I am.  It stems out into thorns, and blooms on my darkest days.  I struggle to find new seeds to plant, new flowers to grow.  Anger hits so hard, and tends to be extremely precise.  It smashes relationships into tiny fragments.



Many people have written that “anger is weakness”.  Yet, it feels like anger is stronger than everything I know.


There has to be a way to overcome anger, whether it is a “little dispute” or devastating argument.

Psalm 37, 14-16:
The angry ones draw their swords; the angry ones aim their bows 
to put down the poor and the weakened and to kill those 
who walk on the path of righteousness.
But their sword hits their own heart, their bows will be broken. 
With his poverty, the righteous one 
is richer than all the angry ones in their abundance.

The more I act in anger, the more destructive I am – to myself.

I must clear my mind, and be patient.  With patience comes wisdom, and clarity. 

This self-awareness is essential to abolishing anger in my life.

~cft

2 comments: